English version

This is the text-only English version of the Spanish blog Noches de Harlem. To see pictures and other multimedia files, and to leave comments, please go to the Spanish version.

Monday, November 26, 2007

Phone stories

This morning the phone rings. Here's the conversation:

-Hello?
-Hey, when are you guys coming to visit?
-Pardon me?
-Rob?
-No, I think you have the wrong number.
-Elaine?
-No, no, you dialed the wrong number.

And then she lets go what I think is the sentence of the year:

-Well, I'd like to talk to Rob or Elaine. Can't you go get them?

Unbelievable. I don't know who she thought I was, maybe their friends' butler, or the neighbor who was paying a visit and answered the phone. And I don't know what else to tell her.

-Sorry, you have the wrong number, which number are you trying to reach?
-My friends Rob and Elaine, at 507-9008.
-Well, this is 507-0008, and you have made a mistake when dialing.
-Oh, OK.

And of course she hangs up without even apologizing a little.

It's amazing to me how some people, when they dial the wrong number, they get annoyed and act like it is your fault, as if saying: "who the hell are you and why are you answering my friends' phone?"

Some years ago, when I lived in Boston, there was a woman who used to call. I don't know if she misdialed or had the number wrong, but she called me about twelve times in two years. And every time, after I said "hello?" she would always say: "who is this?" The first few times I would say "who are you trying to reach?" or "you have the wrong number," but at the end, all fed up, I would say: "I don't know, you should know who you're calling." And she would hang up without a single word.

But the worst, the ultimate worst that can happen to you phone-wise is if your number is very very close to a number which gets calls around the clock. This has happened to me twice in my life.

When I lived in Salt Lake, I had the 532-3347, with such bad luck that the Salt Lake Hilton had the 532-3344. Every once in a while (although not too often, fortunately), I would get a call at 2am by someone who asked me if he could talk to room 210, or something like that. And a few years later, when I arrived back in Barcelona, the number I got (934185429) had very recently been a fax of a large company in Terrassa, whose name I have forgotten. There was some time when I was receiving faxes at any time of the day or night. And some fax machines are programmed to repeat the call if they can't connect, like 5 times at 5-minute intervals... Once a guy from Argentina called me (at 11:30pm) asking why wasn't the fax working. It was a nightmare. I ended up changing the number.