English version

This is the text-only English version of the Spanish blog Noches de Harlem. To see pictures and other multimedia files, and to leave comments, please go to the Spanish version.

Friday, December 21, 2007

Lottery

When I realized I was arriving in Barcelona on Saturday afternoon, that is, after the annual Christmas Lottery draw [always on December 22nd, one of the most important lottery events in Spain, everybody plays, I mean everybody], I thought it was a bummer I couldn't play. Until I remembered the Internet lottery sale service offered by La Bruixa d'Or, [The Golden Witch, link goes to the English page] which is the most famous lottery vendor in Spain. And yes, there I could buy a ticket to play, even though I am in New York, and I am now the proud owner of a one-tenth part of the number 76071. Wish me luck!

[La Bruixa d'Or became famous because it's in a city called Sort, which means "luck" in Catalan. They foresaw very early the power of the Internet, and they started selling lottery online a few years ago. Thanks to that, they are now the vendor which sells more lottery in the whole country, even though Sort has a population of about 2,000, and obviously, by sheer force of numbers, they get a piece of the price almost every year. This only helps its popularity...]