English version

This is the text-only English version of the Spanish blog Noches de Harlem. To see pictures and other multimedia files, and to leave comments, please go to the Spanish version.

Sunday, August 5, 2007

Bags

Today, after several laundry rounds, I am starting to pack my bags. I have all my clothes and other stuff on top of my guest bed and the two bags ready to be filled...

Turns out that a few months ago, with the excuse of protecting the backs of their delicate baggage handlers, the airlines decided to lower the maximum weight for a checked-in bag from 70 pounds (32kg) to 50 pounds (23kg). At least you can take two bags, but when one travels alone, it's much more comfortable to travel with a single bag, even if it's big, than with two. But there we are, ready to pack the two bags, with the bathroom scale on hand to check they don't go over 50 pounds. And I am sending some of my winter clothes in a box by mail...

What drives me nuts is that, if you pay a fee (25 dollars last time),then you can have heavier bags (until 70 pounds) and the handlers' backs don't matter anymore. Which shows which was the real purpose of the reduction in allowable weight: to charge you if you go over. Duh! What was I thinking? :)

Only three days to go!! :)