English version

This is the text-only English version of the Spanish blog Noches de Harlem. To see pictures and other multimedia files, and to leave comments, please go to the Spanish version.

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Sunrise

It had been a long time since I saw the sun rise. And my window has eastern exposure, so I could see the sun rise directly from my desk. As expected, I woke up at 5, when it was still dark but barely, and light soon started to show up in my window.

My window overlooks a park (St. Nicholas Park) so I have a green view, except for a building at the other side of the park and which eats half of the view, a building not too tall for New York, it only has 20 stories :). I will post a picture when I can, but right now it's very sunny and we wouldn't see anything with a picture against the sun. Let's see if I remember to take it in the evening.

My apartment is small and so far not too cozy, because furniture is not great, and besides the furniture, there's nothing else. Nothing, no lamps, no pictures in the walls, not even plates in the kitchen. So my first task today is going shopping to Target, one of my favorite stores, and buy some basic things. Besides all that, the apartment has a feature that makes it curious but strange. It is triangular. It has two perpendicular walls and a third one diagonally, which limits a lot the distribution possibilities, for instance, the only possibility for the bed is the perpendicular corner. But it will do, it's got charisma, and when it's a little set up it will look good. I will post pictures when it looks a little better than now.

Yesterday, as I was telling you, I went to get something to eat, and I stopped at the corner of the 125th and the Frederick Douglass Blvd. (8th Ave). So to give you an idea, from here to there (just three blocks) I saw three hairdressing stores advertising African braiding. At 6pm there was a lot of people in the street, just hanging out, having take-out dinner, or drinking beer. I love that the neighborhood has street life.