English version

This is the text-only English version of the Spanish blog Noches de Harlem. To see pictures and other multimedia files, and to leave comments, please go to the Spanish version.

Saturday, August 25, 2007

I... must... resist...

This morning I was wandering around and I entered one of those joints which will spell my doom: the Apple store on Fifth Avenue :) This is the ultimate Apple store, open 24 hours a day, it contains everything Apple and related stuff.

The store is underground actually, the only thing which is above street level is the transparent cube you see in the picture, but when you enter there is this huge basement bustling with people. Although most of them are tourists checking their e-mail.

Ant the star device is, of course, the iPhone. It's amazing. It's a combination of cell phone, Ipod and WiFi terminal. I have been debating with myself whether I should buy one as soon as it came out. There's two versions: 4GB and 8GB, which cost $499 and $599 respectively. If that were all I would have bought it already, but on top of it you have to sign for two years with AT&T, at the price of 59.99 a month (the cheapest plan), and all of this plus taxes, which are several of them in the AT&T bill. But that's not all, because since I am here only for six months, when I leave I would have to pay a penalty for early termination (like 175 dollars). So all together it would be well over a grand, and I think that's not worth it, no matter how cool. But oh, it's soooo cool... It's a technology marvel, phone, WiFi and ipod, great aesthetics, incredible. I am still resisting, but... it's... hard... very... hard... I... must... be... strong... and... resist...